Monday, October 25, 2010

Colegio Newspaper Advertisement

With alot of thought on what to create an ad for, I came to a decision of trying to promote a new and already known nightclub to the Pittsburg area. I am currently in the process of working with the staff of The Jungle as a DJ. I'm also going to use these to aid in this process to show that I can also help promote events graphically.

Thus said, lets get to the topic at hand, shall we? Once my decision of what I was going to promote was made, I began thinking of ways that I could utilize the $100 budget that we had with the correlating column inch pricing that the Colegio has. I thought about spending the entire $100 on one big ad and it hit me, "Wouldn't 2 or 3 advertisements throughout a newspaper be more effective?" I began to see what would be the best options to creatively and wisely use my budget. I chose to run two ads sized at 2x4 (3.79x4) and a third ad sized at 3x1 (5.75x1). The combined total of the ads was $87 which left me a decent ammount of money left over.

I began to draw my thumbnails on how I wanted to lay each ad out, and the ideas just kept flowing. The possibilities just never seemed to end. I still never settled on a few layouts that I could really like, so I picked two that I felt worked best, and tweaked them until I felt that they would be appropriate.
Some of my thumbnail sketches

Some rough sketches of the three ads
With the thumbnails and roughs out of the way, I began to lay my ideas out in the desired programs, of course keeping to the black and white requirements. The design process was very slow on this, as I did a lot of searching through news ads on things that I would like to try, and things that I felt would look well. Trying to keep several things in mind that will and will not work for the news print was quite a task, but also very useful in having such guidelines before creating one in the real world. The project turned out well, in my opinion. I basically promoted an event, and informed the audience that The Jungle will host an event called "Rumble in the Jungle" every Wednesday night, as well as a promotion for the new DJ. 
First ad
Second ad
Third ad



No comments:

Post a Comment