Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Magazine Advertisement

When I was given the prompt for this assignment, I knew immediately that I wanted to create an advertisement for GQ magazine. For those of you who are not familiar with the magazine, GQ is a magazine for gentlemen, plain and simple. By gentlemen, I mean the suit and tie type that sips a fine scotch while recalling his stock trades for the day on his blackberry at the fancy pub. The advertisements are classy, and bold typically in the magazine, and not to mention, VERY EXPENSIVE to advertise with GQ. At rates like $154,123 for a full page ad, and $96,646 for a 1/2 page ad, not many companies can afford to advertise with them. Many of which are for colognes, watches, alcohol, vehicle, clothing designers, or cellular device/company advertisements. With a subscription to this magazine, I began looking through the magazines I had with an eager approach to looking at them.

With an open mind as to what to promote, I kept seeing several things I would have liked to do, like the typical clothing ad; black and white photo shot of a overly beautiful woman, and man in some sort of sensual pose, with a brand at the bottom suggesting "wear our clothes... and this could be you." Well, I would like to be the first to suggest that maybe you should try consulting a doctor first if you believe that by wearing a certain designer, that you're magically going to be better with the ladies, fellas. This aside, I think that the ads are still designed and laid out well. With many things that had my attention pulled, I had ran across a very cool vodka advertisement, and I was sold, because funny almost always strikes people's fancy.



With this already suggestive name, I began some wordplay. You would be amazed how many slogans you can come up with for that, I'm sure the design department for EFFEN vodka has a hay-day with the sayings they come up with. I mean, really, how can you not have fun with that name? Okay, okay! All jokes aside, I decided to go and search for this insanely amazing vodka on the shelves, and much to my surprise, I found it on the shelves of a local liquor store, however, they only had the "black cherry" one left. I bought it, and took it the next day to the lab to take photos of. With the photos shot, I began editing them, and placing my ads together. Surprisingly, these did not take me much time at all, and I felt like I ended up with a very nice piece.


Full Page
Half Page

No comments:

Post a Comment